Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Engaging Students With Concept Mapping


This is an example of a concept map using Kidspiration.
Concept mapping is important for students to be able to see what the material they are going to cover. When you use concept mapping you are allowing your students to show prior knowledge and also allow students that do not have that prior knowledge to be able to see what their classmates know.
The idea that I chose to do my in depth concept map on is Volcanoes. Before you begin a unit on a topic such as volcanoes you can see what the students know and what volcanoes they already know. One the map I put important terms such as eruption and plate tectonics. There are also things associated with eruption such as lava and ash. I also added the famous volcanoes around the Northwest that the students may know about. I also included Hawaii because it is a recognizable state that is formed by volcanoes.
Another idea I came up with would be one on the water cycle. Depending on a student’s background there are many things they will know about this. They may know about precipitation or they may know about rain and snow. Some students will know that when water freezes it turns into ice or gets hot steams. There are many ways the students could go with that topic.
I also like the idea of using concept mapping for the topic of studying US History. I would use the concept map before introducing something like the Civil War. I would find out what the students already know about the topic to give me a place to start when discussing this topic. Once we established a base I would know the things that I don’t need to repeat for the students since they already have a grasp on them.
I feel that concept mapping is an important tool to use in the classroom. It gives students the opportunity to share their thoughts and feelings on a particular topic. There is also the opportunity for the student to see how their fellow students feel about a topic. For example if you are about to introduce a volcano topic and a student has visited Hawaii they can talk about the experiences of being near an active volcano. This can help the students to relate to one another and the teacher to gain insight of a student’s background.
I also think that concept mapping can help the students with their organization of their ideas. Being able to put their ideas down in an organized fashion can help the students to see how their ideas fit with one another. Introducing the idea of a concept map can also help them in their writing because when they are brainstorming ideas for a paper they are able to see how those ideas all fit together. That way when the students begin their papers they will have a logical flow to their ideas.
Some of the criteria that I would use when deciding to use concept mapping would be how much time I have to get through a certain topic. Also I would take into consideration how much and what kind of information I want the students to know. If there are specific points I want them to know and I want to see how much they already know about it then concept mapping would be a good idea. I also think though, that once you get the students in the habit of using a concept map that they will begin to do it on their own. Once they understand how to organize their thoughts they will do it automatically for almost anything that you talk about in the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment